The unit, under the Students’ Welfare Department is set to assist the students, staff, parents and the community address personal or psychological challenges that may affect individuals while studying, working or serving Kyambogo University. The services are intended to facilitate students’ academic achievements by tapping their potentials and curbing performance hindrances. Free and confidential Guidance and Counselling services are offered by trained and experienced Counselling Psychologists. The centre currently has three permanent staff members, three on contract and two on voluntary basis. The unit also has a student on work scheme program. All counselors are professional and regulated by Uganda Counselling Association.
The Counselling and Guidance Unit is mandated to provide quality counselling and guidance services to the Kyambogo University students, staff, parents/guardians and the entire community.
The unit provides services aimed at enhancing academic success and further educational goals for KyambogoUniversity students. These include the following:
- Individual Counselling
- Group Counselling
- Career Guidance and Counselling
- Organizing outreaches to halls of residence and hostels
- Mentoring work scheme students
- Conducting Open Talks with Students and Staffs
- Mentoring Counsellor Trainees
- Organising peer counsellors trainings among students of KYU.
- Providing counselling support to staff and students in crisis.
- Organising motivational demonstrations that are beneficial to counselling.
- Establishing and maintaining a resource centre beneficial to counselling clientele at KYU.
- Networking with other counselling agencies in professional development for the benefit of our clientele.
- Attending to the department of students’ welfare assigned activities.
The core values of the Guidance and Counselling Unit include:
Confidentiality, respect and self-development Informed consent and Setting practical goals.
To provide professional counselling and guidance services to students, staff and community so as to achieve personal and educational goal
The Guidance and Counselling Unit is currently located at Uganda Block, Rooms31, 33 to 36,
The Guidance and Counseling Unit organized the first ever Counselling Open Day in Kyambogo University that was successfully held on 19th September 2018.
Ongoing mentoring of first year students by continuing Student Mentors trained and supervised by Staff from the Students’ Welfare Department.
Contact our Office
Tel: 0414 288 448
Uganda Block, Rooms 31, 33-36
- Developing a Students’ Guide magazine
- Starting online counselling
- Annual Counselling Open Day
We are Ready to Listen to You
In need of a Counsellor, Call