Welcome to the Kyambogo University (KYU) Guild On-line presence.
In KYU, the guild means the entire students’ body. Its membership is drawn from all the registered under graduates, masters, post graduate diploma, and certificate students. All the students are entitled to paying the guild fee which comprises of the membership fee and the subscription fee. This fee is paid by every student once in every academic year.
The fees is proposed by the guild representative council and approved by the university council through its organs.
SYNOPSIS ABOUT THE OFFICE OF THE GUILD PRESIDENT
- The guild president is the chief executive of the guild government.
- The president presides over the executive meetings.
- Appoints special councilors from the guild representative council (GRC).
- The president nominates members of the executive (cabinet) from the GRC with the exception of the Hall chairpersons. The nominees are approved by the GRC.
- Together with the cabinet and the GRC, resolutions are discussed and passed to the university authorities for approval.
- The president has powers to reshuffle, suspend or dismiss any member of the executive and replace them according to Article 8 clause 6 paragraphs a (d) and Article 10 clause 2(a). This can be done on grounds of grave indiscipline, insubordination, incompetence, abscondment from duty and/or any other misconduct deemed injurious to the name of the guild.The president in special cases summons the executive.
- The president is also a signatory to all guild financial transactions.
- In the event of temporary absence of a member of the cabinet, he/she delegates the duties of such a member to any cabinet member except when the minister of finance is absent, the president will him/herself be in charge of the duties of the minister.
- The president is an ex-official in the guild committees but a full member of the guild disciplinary committee.
- During executive and GRC meetings, he/ she has a casting vote and an original vote.
BRIEF SYNOPSIS OF KYAMBOGO STUDENTS GUILD
Kyambogo university students’ guild is an organ established by the entire students fraternity. The leaders of the guild are democratically by the students yearly and the various posts are Guild president, Guild speaker and deputy, Guild representative councilors (GRCs), Committee members, hall Chairpersons, Hall secretaries, Chairperson Games union, The Guild executive appointed by the Guild president.
The guild comprises of registered students, associates, honorary members among others as in the guild constitution.
The guild discharges its duties as per the guild constitution.
The president has the following emergency powers:
1. To call for emergency cabinet meetings.
2. In consultation with the Dean of Students he/she takes emergency decisions on behalf of the guild in extra-ordinary circumstances but shall seek verification of the executive and the GRC.
3. Appoints a student representative to the university council from the GRC. Such a representative must be of the opposite sex to that of the president.
4. When the vice president cannot deputise, he/she shall delegate it to any other members of the executive.
5. The president exercises power as stipulated in the guild constitution Article 8 clause 6A(a-p)
The guild council is composed of the councilors and these are responsible for the following:
1. Forwarding students views and grievances to the guild representative council.
2. Representing the guild as a delegate or representative in any of the councilors undertakings in or outside the university when called to do so by the executive.
3. Disseminating policies and decisions taken by the guild representative body to the students body.
4. Attending all guild representative meetings in person unless he or she s indisposed and has forwarded due notice.
5. Participating fully in the proceedings of the guild representative council.
6. Expressing his or her views or opinions in a proper manner without fear of victimization by the GRC or the university administration.
7. Making use of the guild facilities on official matters relating to the university.
8. Embraces privileges availed to him/her by the guild or university authorities
9. Keeping and abiding by the guild constitution.
10. Being the legislature of the guild.
11. Approving the guild executive nominated by the president.
12. Sanctions and approves the policies of the executive.
13. Being concerned itself with the matter of any society or any organization in the university, which shall have been approved by the administration for the benefit of the majority of students.
14. Electing officials as provided by the constitution and have power to remove the same by two-thirds majority of the students.
15. Entitled to a vote of no confidence in the president or any member of the executive or any students’ representative to the university council committee.
16. Elect guild delegates, representatives and observers to conferences.
17. Make and uphold the guild representative council code of conduct.
18. Approving the electoral commission.
19. Electing standing and Ad-hoc committees.
1. Co ordinate and supervise the daily activities of domestic affairs
2. Make sure that the student’s welfare is met in conjunction with the university authorities
3. Liaise with the administration to ensure security, traffic and other related matters
4. Responsible for the daily guild official news and the production of official communication
5. Responsible for all transport arrangements in the university
6. Co-ordinate the day-to-day running of medical facilities on campus
7. Co-ordinate the care of the sick students both in the halls of residence, private hostel
8. Responsible for the academic welfare of the students